Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Turn Around

I have to ask if anyone out there knows where the last 3.5 years have gone? They suddenly seem to have vanished.



In the mad swirl of living and loving and cherishing every single minute as a grammy, I blinked my eyes for one brief second and somehow missed the moment when my tiny, baby grand daughter became a little girl.


What happened to that teeny little drop of a baby that could barely be seen in her car seat? Who in the world hid that soft, wispy new born hair that brushed against my cheek and stole my heart? Where did that squealing, belly laugh giggle go, that sent absolute joy surging through my very soul?


Today I watched as my beautiful little granddaughter, bounced up and down with excitement in her little plaid skirt and matching pink sweater as she was ready to leave for her first day of pre-school. It feels like yesterday that I watched my own little girl head off for her first day of school and today I saw her get her baby ready to spread her wings and face the world.


It reminds me of an old song called "Turn Around", that says,


"Where are you going my little one, little one


Where are you going, my baby my own?


Turn around and you're two


Turn around and you're four


Turn around and you're a young girl going out of the door."


Now I kind of feel like, turn around...turn around....turn around and you're a grammy remembering what was, and letting go for what is, and for what will be.


Sometimes I wonder how something can be so good, so exciting and happy as a first day of school and yet still leave me with tears streaming down my face.
Look out world, my little Brooklyn is on her way.

No comments: